"As surely as there is a voyage away, there is a journey home."
-Jack Kornfield

29 July 2011

"Serve People, and Feed People"

-The Maharaj Ji's answer to the question, "How do I get enlightened?"
I have been trying to figure out what has created the bond in my mind with this video; Ram Das, famous spiritual guru of the 1960's counterculture, the author of "Be Here Now," former Harvard professor, and subject of the bioflick, "Fierce Grace," which details both his growth as a spiritual guide as his trials as a stroke-survivor; a 10 minute clip, describing Ram Das's first meeting with his guru, Maharaj Ji, in the hills if northern India, has stirred by heart, inspired beauty within, as well as renewed vigor towards my own guru, my own practice....





"When Maharaj Ji was near me, I was bathed in love. And because he knew everything about me, it was like I was forgiven. Prior to that I had a lot of things in my past that I didnt want anyone to know; and I always felt that if they knew, they wouldn't love me. He knew, and he loved me. It was so beautiful. It was so beautiful."

"All he wanted was for people to be liberated, to be free."

-Ram Das

"What staggered me is not that he loved everybody; but that when I was standing in front of him, I loved everybody. That was the hardest thing for me to understand. How he could so totally transform the spirit of those who were with him." 

"We tried to give him things; you couldnt give him money, you couldnt do anything for him; there was nothing that he needed."

-Larry Brilliant