"As surely as there is a voyage away, there is a journey home."
-Jack Kornfield

28 November 2007

Steve McCurry

"If given a chance to turn back, I would not take it. Therefore, the decision to go ahead is my own responsibility, to be adopted with a whole heart."


Last night at the Pilgrim's Bookshop in Thamel (which is amazing in its own right, possibly the best in South Asia) I stumbled upon a magnificent photo book, that kept my gaze and mind captivated until the store was closing, and I was ushered out into the hazy Kathmandu evening, in a daze. Many of you have seen Steve McCurry's famous Afghan Girl photo from National Geographic, which is a magnificent indicator of how wonderful his entire collection is.

If you have a moment, and are entertained by beautiful photos (with an emphasis on his India gallery), check out http://www.stevenmccurry.com/ or better yet, check out his book, South Southeast, which is the entire collection of his photos from India, Afghanistan, Burma, and Thailand. This man is a genius, and his India journal is almost as brilliant as his shots. Hope you enjoy that as much as I did.



I recieved got a quick touch up on some old "ink" last nite from my friend Mohan, over at Mohan's Tattoo Inn. He does brilliant work (he studied in Korea for years, and is "famous" here in Nepal), uses all sterilized equipment with new needles, autoclaves, gloves, etc., and is a really nice guy to boot. My tattoo talley is up to 3, and though they are addictive, I have promised myself no more (at least in the near future). Check out Mohan if you have an extra minute...

http://www.mohanstattooinn.com/



Heres a shot of Mohan putting the traditional Yapese dolphins on my back about a month ago..I had been waiting to get these for awhile living in the Pacific, but glad I waited to have someone of his caliber do the work, as his lines came out beautifully. Thank you Mohan!~