"As surely as there is a voyage away, there is a journey home."
-Jack Kornfield

24 October 2007

Sankhu

n




A quick day trip to Sankhu, on the outer rim of the Kathmandu Valley, and an ancient trading post to Tibet. Now, just a crumbling Newari village, choked with dust, but with some very nice locals who led me around and explained their ancient city with much enthusiasm...some pics attached.....

I have been heavily engrossed in Sogyal Rimpoche's classic, The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying. While not wanting to shave my head and become a monk, I do have a great desire both to explore Tibetan Buddhism as a philosophy and and to gain a better understand of the people who I walk amongst in this country. The teachings are beautiful, and the culture, with all of its art and ancient insights into the nature of the mind (which I have been exploring for some time on my own) is very captivating. Being amongst so many who dedicate their lives to studying the mind is very unique in this day in age. I will be partaking in a 10 day course when I return to Kathmandu, mid-November, to increase my own insight.

Namaste.